166 Bluffs of Haunt Hollow

    Saturday morning I’m headed back down to the Wayton area south of Parthenon along the Little Buffalo River.  The first time I visited this area, a little over two months ago, I was in the next hollow to the north (see: 158 Dog Branch Bluffs) also on a Saturday.  On that occasion I was surprised that others were out enjoying the beautiful bluffs in an area that I thought was relatively unknown, we’ll see if I encounter anyone today.

majestic views

    Pulling in at the ‘trailhead’ off Dog Branch Road there isn’t anywhere to park without blocking the road (more of an ATV trail) so I drive on, hoping to find at least a wide spot where I can get off the road.  This ATV trail, (FR 92162C) is narrow of course but easy going and no downed trees.  I park at a wide spot in front of a mud hole and small dirt berm.  I’m sure I could drive right through this minor obstacle but hey, I’m here to hike not drive.

wide spot on ATV trail

     Walking south on the road is all downhill but nothing steep, just a pleasant stroll in the woods.  After about 0.3 miles is a rock wall perpendicular to the road heading down the hill to the east.  Continuing downhill the road makes a big sweeping S-curve where I cross paths with six deer.  Afterwards going east and almost level I soon arrive at the end of the road with a nice parking area and a little pond just above roads end.

perpendicular rock wall

    I head south toward the bluffline on a very faint trail which fades away quite frequently, it’s just over 200 feet down to the top of the bluffs.  I explore along the bluff top high above Haunt Hollow, east for maybe 100 yards looking for an easy break down to the base.  Finding nothing I go back to where it’s a short steep climb (but not easy) to the base of the bluffline, right next to small Heart Rock Grotto.

Heart Rock Grotto

    Following the bluffline sort of southwest right away I’m under a huge stone overhang high above the smooth tall bluff.  The two reoccurring themes of the day will prove to be impressive overhangs and nice grottos.  Just to the south out away from the bluffline is a giant angled boulder with a small grotto under the east end, then a small grotto in the bluffline.

low bluffs to start

    The character of this bluffline hike above Haunt Hollow is much different than my hike last week, (see: 165 Battle Creek Bluffs) where the going was rugged with lots of sharp rock rubble almost everywhere along with some annoying greenbrier and blackberry.  Here the forest floor beneath the bluff is much cleaner, a lot less rock rubble and no briars, the worst obstacles seem to be thick low-hanging branches that slap my face and scratch my arms more times than I care to admit.

huge stone overhang

    Soon a little grotto with an overhang above, and two big boulders out in front of the bluff.  Then another hundred yards is a grotto with tons of big fallen rock on the floor,  and just beyond a long clean low-ceilinged shelter.  100 yards further a nice big grotto with a square stone fireplace built in the middle and a beech growing against the bluff wall that has seen the knife on many an occasion.

rock litter

    Another grotto comes along soon, this one with some stonework stacked up, once creating a small enclosure in the back.  Now turning to the north, I approach a passage between the bluffline and a large boulder that has only slid a short distance away, maybe twenty feet.  Then a long shallow grotto with a little stone bridge or tunnel at its east end.


slant boulder with grotto at left

    As I continue north up a little side drainage I come to a fork, to the right is an easy bail-out exit uphill to the east, and to the left slightly downhill a small grotto and then some remnants of a rock wall along what might have been a road once, this route soon re-joins the upper ‘right’ fork where I veer to the west and down to the little creek.

grotto under overhang

    Crossing the creek, I turn back to the southwest into a nice size shelter, then it’s about 200 yards to a nice fifteen foot tall wet weather waterfall, about eight feet wide this fall slides off a slick slimy rock slope with lots of green moss.  I’ll call it Slick Rock Falls, and I’ll bet it will look great with a little more water.  Slick Rock is in a corner up against a very tall bluff that heads south.

tons of big fallen rock grotto

    I follow against the side of this tall smooth bluffline south,  down a steep hill with a little ledge at the bottom that must be climbed down to continue.  Now going west, I pass well below a big grotto above me with a couple rock overhangs.  The next 200 yards is at the base of some very tall, beautiful bluffs with more overhangs, but I see no evidence of rock climbers and wonder why.

rock climbers overhang?

more grottos

    Soon is a low rocky shelter then up in a corner a tall narrow cave entrance, I climb up to check it out and find a window in the back that could be climbed through to the patio outside, but a dead-end.  Back down at the bluffline and continuing west along more tall, impressive bluffs it's over 200 yards to the next shelter.

window rock

Fireplace Grotto

    This one a long shelter with a small square shaped shelter about midway recessed in the back.  Then not far a low and long grotto, maybe only four feet high inside but probably close to a hundred feet long.  In 100 yards a corner in the bluffline where I turn more to the north at a big boulder out 40 feet off the point.

long low grotto

Slick Rock Falls

    Just around the corner and high above at the top of the very tall bluff is another impressive rock overhang that I pass underneath.  From this point it’s uphill a little where I notice off to my right looks to be a ‘doable’ bluffline break.  I keep going though, toward the next two grotto/shelters that are plainly visible up ahead, the second being humongous.

overhang point

stone bench beneath overhang

    First is the little grotto which is pretty nice but just fifty feet further is the immense gapping chasm of the biggest cave, shelter or grotto I’ve seen all day.  To get to it I must climb up (about 5 feet) onto a ledge that’s maybe 6 feet wide and walk this ledge less than 50 feet to the huge opening of this enormous cavity in the bluff.  But not very deep when compared to the impressive size of the opening, maybe 30 feet deep and wet, I don’t go far.

square shelter in a long grotto

window in back of narrow cave

    Back on the ledge I backtrack around to the bluffline break and make a steep exit, but nothing too steep I make it out easily.  Up on the top is a real nice vista all along the overhang that I passed beneath about half an hour ago.  From here are some great views out to the horizon and down near the confluence of Long Branch and East Fork Little Buffalo far below.

another long low grotto

beneath vista overhang

    From here I sort of follow the top of the bluffline east, then uphill to the ATV trail.  Then it’s about half a mile back to my parking spot, uphill all the way but nothing steep it doesn’t take long.  Along the way I take in the solitude, although a Saturday I haven't seen anyone all day.

gapping chasm past grotto at right

    I had a great time today hiking in the Ozark National Forest along some beautiful bluffs, first above Haunt Hollow then Long Branch and finally East Fork of the Little Buffalo River.  The route I took was 4.4 miles and included 645 feet of elevation gain.

East Fork Little Buffalo down below

more distant vistas

Haunt Hollow Bluffs: Statistics Chart 166     The drive here was pretty enjoyable too; from Jasper I went west on Highway 74 about a third of a mile then south on Highway 374 to Parthenon about 6 miles.  Stay on Hwy. 374 five more miles to Wayton, at the Wayton Cemetery turn west on NC 8551 and in 0.5 miles is FR 92162C to the south, you can find a place to park here or as I did find a spot along the ATV trail, if you’re feeling adventurous, have high ground clearance and don’t mind some scratches this narrow forest service road can (sometimes) be driven all the way to the bottom near the little pond.

base map before fair use alterations is property of USGS--licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 U.S. License

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area