165 Battle Creek Bluffs

     This morning I’m driving south for another Outdoor Adventure in the Ozarks.  A few days ago, while hiking along the bluffs of Shulers Point, (see: 164 Shulers Point Bluffs) I noticed some pretty tall bluffs across the valley.  The bluffs that I was looking at are just a small portion of the Cave Creek Bluffs as are Shulers Point Bluffs.

at vista point

    Today, while back in the same general area I’m going to check out a small portion of the ‘Big Creek Bluffs’.  This particular Big Creek is the next drainage west of Cave Creek, and I’ll be hiking near the top of the drainage above a feeder stream called ‘Battle Creek’.  A short steep mountain stream just below the headwaters of Big Creek.  I park just off Highway 123 in a small clearing where an old road (FR 92147C) intersects the highway.

road obstacle

    I start out south on the old road, which is easy going complete with an obvious trail, for a while.  Making good time through the woods the first half mile is all downhill but quite gentle, then just as the descent gets slightly steeper, I enter an area with a lot of wind damage.  With lots of downed trees on the road I’m slowed down some, navigating around or over trees through the slalom course.  This continues until the road approaches the edge of the bluffline.

vista point

    Leaving the road, I walk through open woods downhill maybe a hundred feet to the edge of the bluff.  But with lots of trees below the edge, views across the Big Creek valley are obstructed with only occasional glimpses of the bluffs on the other side.  I head back up to the road and continue south, soon leaving the road again where it turns to the east.

dry 'hotplate' creek

    Still heading south, now through open woods toward a point where the west facing bluffs above Big Creek meet the south facing bluffs of Battle Creek.  It’s a little over 100 yards to the point where I find more big fallen trees, one of these I climb around then down onto a rock ledge at the point.  With much ‘clearer’ views than earlier, this is a very nice spot with some great distant views up into Dan Heffley Branch.

bluffline break

    Making my way northeast back to the road, I soon realize the ‘nice trail’ I was enjoying earlier has all but vanished and the old road is getting less and less obvious the further I go east.  I soon cross a small dry creek with a 2-burner electric hotplate and just downstream what looks like a brake drum.  I scan upstream to my left hoping to spot an old homesite but see nothing through the mostly open woods along this tiny creek.

Big Rock below bluffline

    A little under 200 yards farther east, the slope down to the bluffline looks much more manageable, I leave the road turning to the south and head down the hill.  Well, it gets steeper as I go but this looks like the place to make my way to the base of the bluffline.  Zig-zagging down through lots of big rocks I occasionally find and follow short pieces of trail.  At the bottom of this highest bluffline I’m still not even close to ‘creek level’.

along the bluff, easy at first

    My ‘landing’ point is near a long flat slab of stone against the smooth bluff face, the perfect place for a much needed break.  I begin heading west along the base of the bluffs noticing the occasional huge boulder out away from the bluffline on the hillside between here and the top of the next bluff below.  Which starts some speculation: I wonder how many nice waterfalls may be found down below on Battle Creek.

another solitary boulder

possible climbing area?

    Anyway, continuing west I soon pass beneath an overhang high above and decide this would be a fine area for rock climbing but find no evidence of such (i.e. climbers bolts).  Just past the overhang tucked in a quick corner is a nice multi-tiered wet weather waterfall fed by that same tiny creek I crossed up above.  I’m compelled to call this nice waterfall ‘Hotplate Falls’, do you see how my mind works?

Double Drop Overhang

Hotplate Falls, it just needs more water

    Progress is pretty slow, with lots of big sharp rocks everywhere, I pass by a steep bail-out exit and keep going.  Now getting close to the point with ‘vista point’ above is a long narrow and very steep bear crack that appears to go all the way up although I didn’t see a bear crack from the top, this would be difficult even with the assistance of a rope tied above.

more bluff action

steep and narrow bear crack

    Before going around the corner there’s a narrow deep crevice or little grotto I suppose, it looks intriguing but I only step in a few feet to get a picture.  Around the bend technically I have left Battle Creek and now I’m following Big Creek Bluffs northward and downstream.  Right away the terrain gets a whole lot more rugged.

alcove under a low overhang

a soft spot in the rugged route

    Under a hundred yards out in front of the bluffline maybe 25 feet is a nice ‘squared’ pedestal rock about 30 feet tall.  Then, if it hasn’t been rugged enough the terrain turns treacherous; the sharp rock jumble continues now with added greenbrier blackberry and dead leaves hiding holes between the rocks (a twisted ankle just waiting to happen).  I earnestly begin looking for a bail-out, and finding a couple that don’t seem safe I slowly plug on.

Squared Pedestal

spring is just around the corner

    Over 200 yards I ‘plug on’ to a short passage between a huge boulder and the bluff, just past that I’m forced up on a short ledge with some moss and more greenbrier, and more treachery ahead.  Another hundred yards around a short corner is a fairly long,  (30-40 feet) narrow cave with light filtering through some cracks near the back, and still nothing ‘doable’ in the way of an exit.

tall narrow cave...

with interior lighting

    Soon in a particularly huge rock jumble I climb through a short passage where a big rock rests against an even bigger boulder.  Then through a long (over 100 feet) rugged tunnel about three feet wide, that curves around from east to north. Once through the tunnel, immediately I enter a low shallow shelter with trickling water and lots of moss.

rocky passage

at end of tunnel

    About 150 yards further I come to a marginally safe bail-out exit, yes it’s quite steep but actually looks easier than continuing north along the bluff, so I go for it.  Back and forth I go, clinging to every little tree I can reach to avoid sliding back down the hill I climb the 60 feet or so to the top of the bluff.  Here at the top out on a little point is a nice rock vista and a good place to catch my breath.

shallow shelter with flowing water

between tunnel and shelter

    Still about 160 feet higher up the hill before reaching the old road, I head northeast.  About halfway to the road I stop for a short break at an interesting ‘skeleton’ of a tree that provides a good place to sit down.  Then it’s onward up the hill, I stumble onto a faint old road trace and following that, soon I’m back on the road (trail) only about 200 yards from the truck.

skeleton tree

    Today’s hike was sort of a mixed bag of terrain and scenery; above the bluffs was easy going on the old roads and even off-trail in the open woods, yet the scenery was basically ‘ho-hum’.  But down along the base of the bluffs while beautiful and highly interesting, was at the same time rugged and in some places even treacherous.  I still had a great time today (sometimes, challenging is good) in the great outdoors, it wasn’t a long hike at just 3 miles with 542 feet of elevation gain.

almost home

Battle Creek Bluffs: Statistics Chart 165     Getting here is easy in any car (paved all the way).  If coming from the south in Lurton at the Highway 7/123 intersection go northeast on Hwy. 123 about 5.2 miles to the parking area in a small clearing on your left.  If coming from the north, head south on Hwy. 123 from the entrance to Sam’s Throne about 5.1 miles where the clearing parking area will be on your right.

base map before fair use alterations is property of USFS-
-licensed
 under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 U.S. License

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area