168 Waterfalls of Adkins Creek

     Just six days ago while hiking along the upper portion of Whitaker Creek, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy the overall hike was (see: 167 Amber, Compton’s and Owl Falls).  Having expected a steep rugged day with lots of bushwhacking, typical in wilderness areas.  Yes, I was definitely pleased with the easy hiking conditions, the scenic beauty and magnificent waterfalls were expected and great.

tight steep Adkins Canyon

    That being said, today I decided to attempt another area also in the Upper Buffalo Wilderness that I’ve been curious to see forever but have always shied away from.  Along the southwest corner of the wilderness is Adkins Creek with lots of water features including Leaning Log Falls and Adkins Canyon Falls.  Today may be the perfect time to check it out since we got another inch of rain just two days ago.

east of trailhead on old road

    It’s a long drive from the house way up north, but I make good time and arrive at Dahl Memorial Trailhead around 10:00.  The large parking area 100 feet past the Jerry Dahl Memorial is situated around a big old oak tree and can probably accommodate 20 or more vehicles, but today (Saturday) I have the place all to myself.

small clearing (wildlife opening)

    I begin my hike east on the old road (FR 92285B aka NC 9101) which is mostly flat here on the wide ridge with Buffalo River to the north and Adkins Creek to the south.  The first three quarters of a mile I see nothing that would prevent driving any stock 4WD on this narrow road, a few shallow muddy ruts and mud holes is the worst of it, all easy hiking to be sure.

remnants of a fireplace

    Near 0.4 miles is a road heading off to the north with a nice pond next to it, then it's gently uphill to the high point of this hike at 2148 feet with a good parking spot.  Soon I come to another intersection where this road turns sharp north with another faint road to the south, and plenty of room for a couple more parking spots.  Both of these faint old roads warrant future investigation, more hikes for another time.

Upper Leaning Log Falls

    Now going in a northerly direction for over 300 yards then a long sweeping curve back to the east and into a small wildlife opening (old clearing).  I follow the ridge for almost half a mile to an old homesite where the road ends.  There isn’t much left of the small farm that once occupied this lonely point at the end of the ridge.  All I can find are a small foundation of stone and a little further east the remnants of a fireplace and a few more foundation stones.

Leaning Log Falls from top of bluffline break

    I search the area for any sign of a trail heading down the hillside but finding nothing I bushwhack down the sometimes steep hill alternating east then south.  Along the way I find a nice little spring gushing out of the hillside under some rocks, eventually I hear flowing water and let my ears guide me down the steep slope to the top of Leaning Log Falls.

Leaning Log Falls from grotto level

    Here above Leaning Log in the tight steep little canyon is a beautiful cascading waterfall 12-15 feet tall complete with a 'leaning log'.  I take a couple pictures while trying to figure out where to go from here, across the small fast moving creek I see what may be a trail.  It seems to be my only option other than going back the way I came down, I gingerly hop across hoping for the best.

Leaning Log Falls

    This faint trail quickly goes around a corner to an apparent dead-end on a ledge, from there it’s a steep climb back to the left down to the level of the long grotto that curls around behind Leaning Log Falls.  Incidentally the leaning log for which the falls was named (Tim Ernst) is long gone.  I cross behind the falls under the long grotto then make my way down the wet mossy broken shale and mud to the base of Leaning Log Falls.

Many Finger Falls

    This is a wonderful waterfall that Tim measures as 27 feet tall, again I stay here awhile taking pictures and scouting for a route down to Adkins Creek.  I head east briefly along the base of the bluff but soon climb down through lots of large sharp rock, a descent of nearly 60 feet to Adkins Creek where I continue climbing through lots more large sharp rock downstream.

Adkins Rock Falls

    About 200 yards downstream is pretty Many Finger Falls, a short waterfall (about 5 feet tall) with ‘many fingers’ and luckily for me just below the falls a rocky crossing where I can get to the south bank with dry feet.  Continuing downstream, and since it's just as rugged as on the north bank, I climb up about 20 feet above Adkins Creek hoping for easier hiking but no such luck.

Lower Adkins Falls

    Making my way back down to a little point perched above the confluence of Adkins Creek and smaller Adkins Canyon, I find a spot with a relatively clear shot of Adkins Rock Falls.  Another short waterfall of five or six feet and very picturesque, I soon precariously make my way back off the perch on the point, up then around into Adkins Canyon.

Adkins Canyon Falls

    Right away once in Adkins Canyon are views of both Lower Adkins Falls and Adkins Canyon Falls, I follow upstream at creek level just far enough for a good view of both falls and what a spectacular sight it is.  Not counting the Lower Falls, Adkins Canyon Falls has four or five distinct sections that have a little bit of a twist to them and a tall cascading section in the middle that fans out near the bottom.  Lower Adkins Falls is almost 10 feet tall, and above it Adkins Canyon Falls is listed as 42 feet.

Leaning Log Falls from across Adkins Creek

    Leaving Adkins Canyon and making my way upstream on Adkins Creek is slow going, I stay on the south bank as far as I can then realize the trek upstream will involve many creek crossings.  I don’t bother with my waders since these crossings often appear to be knee deep, and once my feet are wet, what would be the point?  Maybe with a lot less water flow you might be able to easily hike right up the creek, but today this is impossible.

swift rocky Adkins Creek

    After about half a mile of this I have lost count of how many times I’ve crossed Adkins Creek, along the way I notice a couple springs on both sides of the creek.  Then another short waterfall, this one named Big Rock Falls for the big rocks on both sides restricting the creek flow and creating the short falls, just before Big Rock Falls was my last creek crossing today.

on a flat rock with a view

    From Big Rock Falls I climb the hillside about twenty feet above creek level hoping for some easier hiking (again) and this time it does seem to be a little better.  Trudging through the open woods isn’t bad, but with the steep slope I’m travelling diagonally on, combined with my soaking wet socks and shoes, this is a little painful on my tender feet.  I soon take a short break on a nice flat rock with a view of the creek just below.

Three Ladies Falls from up at bluffline

    Feeling revitalized I continue west and climb up the hill maybe another twenty feet to a low bluffline and grotto.  Here I’m above Adkins Creek maybe 40-50 feet but still notice a nice taller waterfall, or more accurately a plunging cascade.  This is Three Ladies Falls and even up here it looks great, it’s hard to guess the height from this perspective although it looks pretty tall.  Since this bluff affords a bird's eye view of the falls below, I’m calling this spot Three Ladies Bluff.

nice wet weather fall

    Continuing west I slowly head down the hillside closer to creek level and cross a tiny drainage with a real nice wet weather fall, a sort of multi-tiered steep cascade and it looks great today for a limited time only.  Soon back down along Adkins Creek, thankfully the creek bank isn’t quite as rugged as further downstream.

side stream cascade

    Nearing a steep side stream coming in from the south is a long tumbling cascade just upstream from the confluence with Adkins Creek.  And on Adkins itself the first of three small falls spaced out less than 200 feet apart each around three or four feet tall and all three gorgeous, collectively these are 'Adkins Creek Cascades' and will be the last of the water features visited today.

a rare tranquil pool on Adkins Creek

    Past the Adkins Creek Cascades somewhere on the north bank of Adkins Creek was once a homesite, but all I find is an abundance of roses gone wild.  Also, here the main west branch of Adkins Creek goes completely dry with all the water flow coming from the south branch.  Here too I begin looking for the old road that once came down to the homestead.

Bottom Falls of Adkins Cascades

    It takes a while, heading mostly west and uphill about a hundred feet, but I finally stumble onto the road.  After the grueling, rough and rugged trek down to Leaning Log Falls, Adkins Canyon Falls then up Adkins Creek, this faint old road is a most welcome sight.  After landing on the road, it’s about half a mile up to the Dahl Memorial Trailhead.

Middle Falls

    Well, this was truly an Outdoor Adventure in the Ozarks, not an easy hike once I started down off the ridge.  This to me would be a 'difficult bushwhack' and it took me over six hours to complete, total distance was 5.9 miles with 973 feet of elevation gain.  Back at the truck I feel spent the hike took it all out of me, but I still had a great time visiting some great waterfalls.

Top Falls of the Adkins Cascades

Dahl Trailhead: Statistics Chart 168      FS 1463 or NC 9100, better known as Dixon Ridge Road is an unpaved road heading north off Highway 16/21 about 1.4 miles northeast of Fallsville, or approximately 7.25 miles southwest from Edwards Junction.  From the highway follow Dixon Ridge Road about 2 miles to the signed intersection for Dahl Memorial Trailhead and turn right, then it’s about 100 yards on NC 9101 to the trailhead/parking.

base map before fair use alterations is property of USGS--licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 U.S. License

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area