99 Riggs Au Naturale

    Back to Hasty, this is our second visit in nine days, and nothing has changed.  Riggs Hole is still peaceful and relaxing as well as beautiful.  We set up our day camp in the same spot and notice there seems to be a few more people today, but the three ladies nearest to us soon pack up and leave.  It’s just like last time, people come and go but nobody stays very long.

    I don’t know why this is, but I’m not complaining.  I swim in the hole for a while and Kat floats around Riggs Hole a lot longer today, I spend most of the afternoon napping in my beach chair.  All the exploring at Big Creek must have worn me out.  Between napping and swimming, I go exploring up and down the beach a little.

    Riggs hole is a lot longer than I had thought, extending just as far downriver of the launch area as upriver.  The downriver portion doesn’t seem to be as deep though, the kids end of the pool you could call it.  Upstream I already know Riggs Hole ends at the bend to the west, but I walk up to check it out anyway.

upstream end of Riggs Hole

    Just around the bend I notice a couple people farther upstream, on second glance they’re in the buff not a stitch of clothing, nada.  I’m sure I probably gawk for a moment but then quickly do an ‘about face’ and return the way I came.

    Now this gets me thinking, a few years ago we were floating this section of river and encountered the exact same thing maybe 100 feet farther upstream from this same spot.  I don’t know for sure but I’m assuming public nudity is a big no-no in the eyes of the National Park Service, I’ll be sure to ask the next NPS employee I see.

named for the natural arch up a steep little hollow at the north end of the bluff
Chimney Rock Bluff

    Back in my beach chair I’m mulling around in my head the encounter upstream, trying to get an opinion of how this affects my rating for Riggs Hole today.  Like I said at the top, nothing has really changed.  Some of you may disagree but I believe the public nudity detracts from the kind of experience we’re all looking for in that ‘perfect swimming hole’.  Therefore, my rating for Popularity loses one point, giving Riggs Hole: 10+ for today.  Still a very respectable score.

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area