174 Fern Falls and Beyond

     On my last three hikes I have driven past the big ‘Scenic 7 Byway’ sign while heading farther south, and each time I said to myself ‘I should go see Fern Falls again, since it’s been so long’.  We have been here, but the last time was way back in 2015, long before I started writing blogposts after our hikes.  I pull off Highway 7 at the big sign and park in the grass, although the ground is pretty wet it doesn’t seem too soft.

Fern Falls

    The very muddy trail heads west right next to the ‘sign’ then under the powerline, other than all the mud everywhere this is an excellent trail, obviously well used.  I soon spot a pond above the trail, climbing up the bank to see how big it is I notice lots of poison-ivy, the pond is small but pretty in the lush forest.

near trailhead

    Not far past the pond the trail turns right at a rock cairn, straight ahead appears to be an old road but I stay on the obvious trail which begins to gradually head downhill.  Then only about 100 yards further is a left turn at what also looks like an old road, the trail is really hard to miss so the odds of accidently wondering off on one of these roads is about zero.  Soon the scenery improves thanks to East Shop Creek just west of the trail.

small pretty pond

at the top of Fern Falls

    I come to an intersection soon after I notice the sound of falling water, this would have to be Fern Falls.  The trail left crosses East Shop Creek on some boulders in the creek at a beautiful scenic area with lots of azaleas and other fragrant flowering bushes.  This gorgeous spot on the creek is only about thirty feet from the top of Fern Falls, the trail soon begins the descent around the west side to the base of the falls.

scenic area above Fern Falls

'fragrant flowering bush'

    There are well used side trails all over this area, the first goes right out on the bedrock at the top of the falls, the next after a sharp right turn where the bluffline break begins is a steep rocky path left down to the base of the falls.  I stay on the ‘main’ trail straight along the grotto that opens up under the bluffline and soon passes behind Fern Falls.  It’s a little muddy with some loose rock to boot, I wouldn’t call this passage dangerous, just watch your step.

approaching Fern Falls along grotto

behind Fern Falls

    Now east of the falls, I’m lovin’ all these trails since I can get pictures from lots of perspectives without the underbrush associated with bushwhacking.  The trail now heads back west and down to the base of Fern Falls at another absolutely beautiful location.  Fern Falls at 42’ (Tim Ernst) is a two-tiered waterfall into a lovely turquoise pool, with the grotto behind and of course green ferns everywhere.

turquoise pool and green ferns

East Shop Creek downstream of Fern Falls

    After crossing back to the west side of Shop Creek I climb the steep rocky path mentioned above, which puts me back on the ‘main’ trail and soon I’m back at that sound of falling water intersection.  Here I turn left onto what I’ll call ‘Scarsdale Trail’ because it will take me to Scarsdale Falls only about 300 yards northeast.  Along the way I have to stop for another great photo-op of Fern Falls, this from a flat rock overhang atop the bluff.

at base of Fern Falls

double-tiered Fern Falls

    Even beyond Fern Falls the trail is still in great shape other than two old dead trees across the trail.  Soon I catch glimpses of Scarsdale Falls through the dense greenery and pass a couple less used side trails down into the drainage, but I stay on this the obvious trail which continues on the level, passing the falls.  Curiosity gets the best of me, I want to see where this trail ends up, it crosses the little drainage and continues now going northwest.

Fern Falls from the bluff top

moss flow along Scarsdale Trail

    A nice big flat-topped rock next to the trail would make a good ‘rest stop’ and I notice a side trail heading down into the drainage near here, but I continue northwest soon arriving at a little overhang shelter.  The overhang creating this little shelter is a single slab of stone about twelve feet long and over two feet thick with a big tree firmly against the front of the shelter.  From here north the trail is less than obvious, now getting faint.

little overhang shelter

wild blueberries

    I keep going north almost 300 yards until the trail fades-out completely as I’m heading down a hill into a rocky brush filled jungle, where I decide to turn around.  I head back to that side trail near the rest stop rock and climb down to the base of Scarsdale Falls, it’s not too steep through the small boulders to the base of the falls.


Scarsdale Falls

    Scarsdale Falls (named by Danny Hale) isn’t nearly as awesome as Fern Falls but still quite picturesque.  Scarsdale Falls about 10 feet tall, plunges off a low bluff and has a nice cascade above and below.  Once across the creek I follow the diminishing bluffline on a faint trail that soon climbs back up and rejoins the ‘Scarsdale Trail’, heading southwest back towards Fern Falls.  After a left back onto the main 'Fern Falls Trail' it isn’t far to the parking area along the highway.

Scarsdale Falls at bluffline break

Azalea at top of Fern Falls

    I had a great time revisiting Fern Falls...and beyond, a short hike I logged in only 2.7 miles with 368 feet of elevation gain, that included my exploration to the north till the trail fizzled out.  Just to the base of Fern Falls and back is about 1.5 miles, or both Fern and Scarsdale Falls would be under 2 miles.  As always come after a good rain to catch the falls in their prime, today I was really impressed with the power of Fern Falls.

don't step on the frog

Fern Falls Trail: Statistics Chart174     There isn’t an actual ‘parking lot’ just park in the grass off Highway 7 along the edge of the woods near the ‘Ozarks National Forest/Scenic 7 Byway’ sign, at the bottom of a hill you can’t miss it.  About 3.1 miles north of the Deer turn-off (Hwy.7/16 intersection), or almost 6.8 miles south of the Vendor turn-off (intersection of Hwy. 7 and Hwy. 374).

base map before fair use alterations is property of ArcGIS--licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 U.S. License

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area