171 West Hudson Mountain Bluffs

     It was two years ago the last time we went hiking on Hudson Mountain, a return visit is long overdue.  On that adventure our hike ended up being a lot longer than we had planned (see: 115 Macedonia Loop).  Today I want to keep it short (sore knee), so I decide to check out the bluffs on the west side of Hudson Mountain up above Wolf Creek.

The Courtyard

    The parking area is about 800 feet off Cowell Road in a clearing with a campsite and a Forest Service gate.  The good trail follows the old road (FR 92153M) downhill for about 0.4 miles to a rock cairn on the left side of the road.  I continue down the road a short way to two more road exits, the first is also marked by a rock cairn.  Any of these ‘exits’ can be used to enter the bluff area which has amazing rock formations galore.

parking in campsite

beginnings of the bluffline

    I backtrack up the road to the first rock cairn and the steepest descent, the lowest exit although basically a bushwhack would probably have been the easiest, but this higher exit sports some new-looking stone steps that I just can’t resist.  The stone steps work out fine, someone has obviously put a lot of work into these steps, and they do shorten the hike by maybe 100 yards.

in The Courtyard

    The bottom of the stone steps puts me smack-dab in The Courtyard, a park like setting of huge boulders with crevices, overhangs and little shelters to the south and west, and the beginnings of a bluffline heading east then soon south.  I head downhill to explore, between two of these huge rocks is a tight little passage with a stone roof that appears to be sliding off the rock.

crevices, passages and small caves

sliding stone?

    I have never seen anything like it, apparently rushing water has scoured out the rock on the back side creating a small shelter cave leaving the outer smooth rounded crust-rock quite thin and hanging down over the shelter opening.  It’s sort of like a ‘stone drapery’ hanging off the big boulder, back up into the Courtyard I head east along the dripping bluffs.

stone drapery

    This smooth (and very wet today) bluffline grows taller very quickly as it turns south and enters The Corridor, a long passage ten to fifteen feet wide.  The Corridor is probably a hundred yards long and I can only imagine how it was created, but I’ll assume erosion and shifting masses of solid stone were involved.  At the end of the passage a tall tree that’s still alive is leaning against the bluff.

entering The Corridor

dripping bluffs

    Out in front of the bluffline is the biggest boulder I’ve seen yet, sort of a squared-off rock with vertical sides and a flat surface on top that includes a few trees.  I walk all around this huge boulder admiring two or three nice rock overhangs, and other nearby boulders creating some short scenic passageways.  Since entering The Courtyard although there aren’t really any ‘trails’ down in here along the bluffs, this is very easy hiking on clean forest floor and large slabs of ‘non-slip’ sandstone.

many 'side' passages

    When I’m almost completely around huge ‘Flat-top Boulder’ I notice a narrow crevice in a smaller boulder between me and the main bluffline, as I get closer, I can see light coming through: a tight ‘crevice tunnel’ 20-25 feet long.  I continue around the smaller boulder back to the bluffline and south.  Right away I see a crevice here on the other side and assume it’s the other end of the narrow tunnel.

Flat Top Boulder on left

overhang on Flat Top Boulder

    Upon closer inspection, there are two tunnel entrances here, one on top of the other (‘double-decker’ tunnels) and both are quite narrow.  I squeeze through the top tunnel that emerges maybe twenty feet later up above and slightly north of the ‘crevice tunnel’ I had spotted earlier, but I never noticed this ‘upper’ tunnel.  There is no easy way down, so I return the way I came then pass on entering the lower tunnel as this would involve a drop down into a hole followed by low ceilings.

another overhang, this one much lower

    Here east of the Double Tunnels there appears to be two paths south along the bluffline, one higher and one lower.  I first go up on the ledge (super easy) for about 100 feet till I reach a dead-end, this is almost to the top of the bluff and has an easy short climb for a bail-out exit if I was so inclined.  But no, I backtrack to the lower path and continue along the base of the bluff.

impressive tall bluffs

looking back on a 'rocky road'

    Almost 100 yards further along the bluff is a nice little two-part waterfall, the top tier is only five or six feet tall and almost as wide.  It then flows off a little rock point and plunges 10-15 feet further to the base of the bluff.  It is pretty although more water would be nice, after which the bluffline temporarily gives way to a little steep dry drainage.  Here in this little side drainage is an easy exit up a short ledge to the top.

tight narrow tunnel

    But straight ahead I see a nice wide bear crack to the top which I just have to check out.  The bear crack itself looks a little steep but what got my attention is a big dead tree hanging in another large tree right over the bear crack, yeah, as I make my way up through the crack to the top I pass directly under this big rotten tree (root-ball gone) hung up in another live tree.  A little steep yes, but not bad and at the top a little climb up the smooth sandstone ledge.

under the bluffs

easy hiking along bluffline

    Now on top the bluff I head north through mostly open woods occasionally finding and following a faint trail.  Yes this is a bushwhack, but pretty easy and only about 300 yards till I’m back on the road.  Uphill on the old road about a quarter mile doesn’t take long, I’m back at the truck waiting in the clearing/campsite in no time.

waterfall off little rock point

    I wanted a short hike today and that’s exactly what I got, only 1.7 miles with 351 feet of elevation gain, a really easy hike.  This is a beautiful little spot along the bluffs, and this hike could be expanded into a little longer hike pretty easily by either continuing down the road further to the middle sections of Wolf Creek or going further along the bluffs south to the upper most parts of Wolf Creek.  I’m sure I’ll be back for the extended tour version.

hanging tree from top of bear crack

back on the old road

West Hudson Bluffs: Statistics Chart 171     To get here you could continue south on Cowell Road (NC 6560) after passing Ricketts and Owens Mountains, see: (71 Owens Ricketts Mountains).  The easiest way here though is to head north out of Cowell at the intersection of Hwy. 7 and Cowell Road, go north on Cowell Rd./NC 6560 about 4 miles to FS 92153M (unmarked and easy to miss), turn left and continue 800 feet to the parking area.

base map before fair use alterations is property of USFS--licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 U.S. License

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area