135 Clabber Creek to Cedar Creek

    Most folks who do any hiking in the Ozarks, know old roads make good hiking routes, many established trails follow these old roads.  The thing that seems strange to me, why do ‘map makers’ choose not to show old roads in wilderness areas?  The roads didn’t just disappear when the wilderness designation was approved by congress, and since they do make for some great hiking, why remove them from the maps?

    Today I’m going hiking with the assumption that an old road exists between Clabber Creek and Cedar Creek along the Buffalo River at the edge of the Lower Buffalo Wilderness, hopefully I’m right, otherwise this will be a long bushwhack.

Clabber Creek at Crossing

    Down at the bottom of Rush Road past the canoe launch area, I follow the road all the way to its end.  Going through many deep mud holes along the way I park at what is known as ‘Rush parking area 4’ on a leveled hill above the confluence of Clabber Creek at the Buffalo River.  From here in the parking lot, I see the Buffalo is running high, fast and dirty from heavy rains upriver.  I can clearly hear the roar of Clabber Shoal over 500 feet away.

on the gravel bar

    Walking north from the parking area on the access road it’s less than 100 yards to two cable gates, the left gate is the trailhead for Clabber Creek Trail, which is a wonderful trail to explore, see: (77 Rush Mountain...), the gate on the right, the much less used Laffoon Trail.  I follow Laffoon Trail on an old road gently downhill just over 100 yards to Clabber Creek, here the old road crosses the wide creek diagonally, making the 30 foot wide creek, a crossing of over 50 feet.

near the bluffline

    As I slip on my creek waders I’m looking out across the creek and say to myself ‘this looks too deep for waders, I should have brought the water sandals’.  Sure enough, it is too deep, up over my knees the water comes in over the top of the waders, at least it isn’t cold, I’ll be hiking with wet feet for the next hour or more.

    Across Clabber Creek the old road heads back to the south, on the old road this is easy hiking even the creek crossing was easy.  But when the road disappears on the gravel bar near the banks of the Buffalo the easy hike turns into a difficult bushwhack.

high water, fast current and poor visibility through the muddy river after a big rain
high water on the Buffalo

    I thought gravel bars were supposed to be nice and easy to hike across, not this one.  At the head of the gravel bar the Buffalo makes a sharp right turn then enters Clabber Shoal, so all the debris floating down the river is deposited right here.  There are large, downed trees everywhere along with gouged out pools making it difficult to hike across, I slowly make my way up to the base of the bluff along the top of the gravel bar.

beaver activity

    Along the bluff isn’t much better with all the greenbrier and other undergrowth, but I trudge on as best I can.  After maybe 100 yards I back down off the edge of the bluff about twenty feet or so and find an overgrown trail running roughly parallel to the river.

    Although still overgrown, at least there isn’t much greenbrier, I soon come into an active beaver area with cut trees and beaver trails, crisscrossing back and forth, to and from the riverbank.  After close to a half mile of this the faint trail heads up hill a little and enters an old road.

on an old road

    Back on the old road the hike is once again easy, heading north only about a hundred feet then the road swings around to the east and crosses a small (dry) creek while continuing uphill.  It’s an easy grade, nothing steep, just up and down gentle slopes for the next half mile.

    Somewhere along here an old crumpled down fence line appears along the south side of the road, then I reach an area with lots of downed trees on the road, most I can just step over, but a couple newer falls require short detours.  A little farther the road approaches to within a couple feet of the rocky point.

rocky point at road

    Just past this point of stacked shale bluff covered in green moss the road swings to the north and descends along Cabin Creek.  Staying on the road I soon come to the banks of Cabin Creek at a beautiful spot with little waterfalls both upstream and down along with some gorgeous pools.

    The crossing is easy to rock hop without getting my feet wet, which are finally starting to feel dry.  Once across, the road heads south and back slightly uphill.  Now east bound the road levels out and another hundred yards I arrive at the entrance to Cabin Creek Cemetery aka Laffoon Cemetery.

Cabin Creek

    Long ago this graveyard was fenced in to keep livestock out, but now most of the fence is trampled underfoot.  What remains is an arch opening made of two cedars, where there once was a gate, with a rusty sign attached at the top.  Inside this is a pretty good-sized cemetery with I would guess at least fifty gravesites, maybe more.

    Of the stones that can be read most are from the Laffoon and Patterson families although the biggest headstone has the name Smith and is off by itself near the east end of the cemetery.  From the south side of the graveyard are some nice views of the Buffalo River 40 or 50 feet down the hill.

a remote cemetery along the Buffalo River aka Cabin Creek Cemetery.
Laffoon Cemetery

    For the next quarter mile past Laffoon Cemetery the road heads northeast and stays pretty flat, then follows along the base of a low bluffline.  Again, the bluffline has quite a bit of undergrowth, but nothing as thick as was encountered back closer to Clabber Creek, and it doesn’t last long.

    Soon the road turns to the north a little more and heads uphill for the next 100 yards crossing a tiny creek (also dry) along the way.  At the next gradual curve back to the east the road levels out after a short descent around another little dry creek.

old homesite

    Less than a quarter mile further I arrive at the concrete and stone ruins of an old homesite with a small outbuilding just west of the house.  This is familiar ground, we discovered these ruins back in August of 2020 when we drove in here looking for a nice, secluded swimming hole, see: (62 Cedar Creek Hole).  After looking around at the rusty debris of the old homesite I continue the last 100 yards on the old road to Cedar Creek Road.

Cedar Creek Road

    I turn right (south) on Cedar Creek Road and in about 200 feet arrive on the banks of the Buffalo River and roads end.  Here about twenty feet above the river is a flat sandy turnaround area probably big enough for three vehicles to park without blocking anyone in.

    Today the Buffalo River is big fast and brown, nothing like I remember from that hot August day over two years ago when the river was a lazy deep hole with lots of snakes and some big fish along with a big dead tree wedged against the bank in the mouth of Cedar Creek.  The big tree is long gone but just downstream are two sets of rapids around a small low island in the middle of the river right where it makes a sharp turn to the right.

Cedar Creek

    This sharp turn in the Buffalo is the ‘duck’s bill’ of the ‘Duck Head’ (aka 7-mile bend), and just beyond I can make out the hills rising above the confluence of Boat Creek, although I can’t see the creek itself.  Here at the end of Cedar Creek Road is a large log that makes a nice bench for a little break and some lunch.  Before heading back, I scramble down a short trail and take a couple quick pics of Cedar Creek, here so close to the Buffalo it's a lovely bedrock bottomed, straight, calm lagoon.

Buffalo River at Cedar Creek Hole

    Heading back to Rush, I pretty much retrace the route I came in, except when I reach the long bluffline before Clabber Creek I stay up tight to the bluff to avoid the hazards down on the gravel bar, though the hazards of underbrush and greenbrier up tight to the bluff aren’t much better.  At the end of the bluff with Clabber Creek coming down in the distance I soon stumble onto a pretty good trail which starts to head downhill towards the north.

    Where this trail enters the old road is an old rusty one-gallon gas can, to mark the spot, from here I’m back on the old road and just about 100 feet to the Clabber Creek crossing.  Knowing now how deep the creek is, I don’t bother with the waders but roll up my pants and wade across, the water feels good as this afternoon has warmed up to around eighty degrees.

GPS coordinates along Laffoon Trail between Clabber Creek and Cedar Creek.

    I leave my soaking wet boots and socks in the back of the truck and drive home barefooted.  Today was another great day in the great outdoors and I’m glad my assumption about the old road proved to be correct, the hike overall was pretty easy, with the exception of just about a quarter mile of rough bushwhacking along the bluffline and gravel bar past Clabber Creek.

    My totals for today were 6 miles hiked with 680 feet of elevation gain.  This hike could just as easily start at the end of Cedar Creek Road (MC 6460), that is if your vehicle is up for it.

base map before fair use alterations is property of USGS Topo--licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 U.S. License

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area