148 Steele and Beech Creeks Loop

    When we got up this morning, I was pleasantly surprised by temps just above 40°, I decided to go hiking right then.  Heading down to Steele Creek Campground, I pass Centerpoint Trailhead around 9:00 and the trailhead parking area is already completely full.  A lot of others apparently agree, today will be a great day for a hike.

Offen considered the tallest Bluff on the Buffalo River, it is definitely the most visited.
Big Bluff on the Buffalo

    Above the canoe launch area at Steele Creek is a big parking area, I park here close to Steele Creek and notice I’m all alone.  The only other vehicle in sight is one truck with horse trailer across the big field at the horse camp.  As I take my time gearing up for the hike four more cars arrive, I knew I wouldn’t be alone for long, today is Saturday after all.

    After a few brief conversations with arriving hikers and a park ranger who just transferred here from Colorado but doesn’t know much about the BNR, I head south to the corner of a fence.  Right away as I enter the woods above Steele Creek, I find a faint trail that I try to follow south between fence line and the steep creek bank.  Not 100 feet later is a nice sized cave opening up on the bluff across Steele Creek, it doesn’t look like it would be very easy to climb up about 30 feet from creek to cave.

small cave in bluff

    This faint trail would have to be considered a ‘bushwhack’ but isn’t hard to follow when I can find it in the thick undergrowth, just keep going south above the creek and eventually I should run into the Buffalo River Trail.  After the fence line turns west and I pass under the powerlines, this little trail heads uphill pretty steeply then ends at the BRT.

    Now this is more like it, the Buffalo River Trail is in great shape and soon comes alongside a nice wet weather fall.  Then 100 yards further a flat area in the woods with a trailside campsite.  The trail soon descends to creek level before crossing Steele Creek.  After the crossing the BRT turns to the right and goes back uphill to another nicer wet weather fall, this one with three tiers.  Here the trail turns south, and I soon climb up natural steps over slick wet rock.

Steele Creek near crossing

    At the next turn to the east is a nice viewpoint of Steele Creek looking south below the trail.  Still gradually heading uphill I soon turn north then more natural stone steps and a nice upper and lower waterfall about 60 feet tall total.  Here the trail continues up now northwest before swinging around to the northeast and a nice trailside campsite.  A hundred feet farther the trail climbs through some big rocks at the beginnings of a bluffline.

clean and easy hiking on the BRT

    Continuing uphill around the next little side drainage I arrive at a rocky point called Steele Creek Campground Vista aka Roark Bluff Vista.  This is a great spot, and everyone I’ve met on the trail (so far) are all here enjoying the view and resting up for the hike back down to the campground.  Evidently this is as far as most people go before returning the way they came.  I keep going up the trail after a little break for snacks and water along with some photos of the fabulous view to the west.

rock passage

    So far the hike has been all uphill, but nothing steep, just a steady pretty easy climb.  Just past the Vista for about a hundred yards is the steepest trail section encountered yet.  After the short ‘cardio workout’ the BRT levels out and near where the trail rounds Fisher Point begins the long, gradual descent.  As I approach Fisher Point, I look for any signs of the old Fisher Point Road heading off to the right and uphill, but I don’t find anything (see: 105 Fisher Point Road).

@ Steele Creek Campground Vista aka Roark Bluff Vista

    Still heading north and downhill I pass three small sinkholes spaced about a hundred yards apart then round a big sweeping bend, now I’m headed southeast.  The trail levels out for the next half mile, and while the trail follows atop a 400-foot bluff above the river there are many nice views of Big Bluff through the trees.  Hard to photograph now but come back in the winter without the canopy of greenery for some great pictures of the big bluff.

Roark Bluff on the Buffalo River

    Beyond the views of Big Bluff is a trailside camp, complete with occupants.  We exchange greetings, the two campers tell me I’m only the second person they have seen this morning and ask where I’m headed.  We discuss Beech Creek Trail up ahead about half a mile and my planned loop hike back to Steele Creek Campground.  They intend to do the same loop but are only hiking about two miles a day with the focus on ‘camping’ along the way.

early autumn color

    Continuing along on the BRT the trail now heads more in a southerly direction and starts heading downhill again.  The trail weaves in and out of a few little side drainages, in the second is a pretty long tumbling cascade, with more water would look great.  Then in the next little drainage a nice 12-15 foot waterfall just below the trail which could also use more water.

Big Bluff through the trees along the BRT

    Two hundred yards later in a pretty area of open woods are a couple natural stone benches just off the trail, and 100 yards further, more natural stone steps down to the next level.  Here I notice a BRT blaze on a tree, one of only a few I’ll see all day.  Then in another 100 yards the signed intersection of the Buffalo River Trail and Beech Creek Trail, I turn left downhill, now on Beech Creek Trail.

trail signage

    It’s gradually downhill under a quarter mile to Beech Creek after passing a huge boulder between creek and trail.  Near the bottom off to the right is a beautiful setting on the creek with many giant boulders and bluff, choking Beech Creek.  Right in the middle of this gorgeous area is a nice campsite complete with stone furniture around the fire-ring, I do a little investigating and snap a few pictures.

approaching first crossing on Beech Creek

    While in the campsite a couple hikers catch up to me, I have heard them behind me talking for some time.  We walk down the trail to the first Beech Creek crossing together, they are hiking the same ‘loop’ route as me.  There isn’t much water flowing in Beech Creek, she says, “I don’t want to get my feet wet”, and I say, “well just wait till you get to the Buffalo” and he just says, “shhh”.  Past this first of three easy creek crossings and a couple more campsites, it’s about a quarter mile to the Buffalo River.

Buffalo crossing #2 and Big Bluff

    On the gravel and cobble banks of the Buffalo River near the mouth of Beech Creek I see a bunch of people whooping it up in the water on the other side just downstream, I find an old log to sit and change footwear for the crossing.  This crossing is only 8-10 inches deep and the cool river feels good, I have five more crossing to go before reaching the truck back at Steele Creek.

    Up through the eroded riverbank and in less than 100 feet Beech Creek Trail ends at the Old River Trail, here I turn left following the Buffalo upstream.  The first thing I notice down here in the river floodplain is the encroaching grass and weeds trying to choke out the trail, but between the horse and foot traffic this popular trail for the most part is easy to follow.  After a few hundred yards of this is a rock cairn at an intersection, the end and bottom of the Goat Trail.

Goat Trail along the face of Big Bluff

    A couple hundred more yards I come to a fork in the trail, I follow the right fork which of course is the wrong choice.  This trail soon disappears in a large area of driftwood debris or flotsam, I make a beeline across this mess straight for the river just 100 feet away and intersect the real trail along the way.  And here’s my second river crossing with two hikers standing on the bank, I sit on a good sized rock and begin changing back into the sandals.

    The two hikers who have a car parked up at Centerpoint Trailhead have just come down the Goat Trail, an elevation change of over 1100 feet from trailhead to river.  They ask where does this trail go farther upriver?  I tell them eventually to Ponca after going through Steele Creek Campground first (see: 68 Ponca to Steele Creek).  They gaze across the river at the ORT with a look of dejection and explain “we’re camping at Steele Creek” then they slowly turn and head back to the Goat Trail and the long uphill trek to their waiting car.

Big Bluff @ river crossing #3

    Crossing two while pretty wide is uneventful, more of the same 8-10 inches deep over gravel and small round river rock.  On the other side I decide to leave the sandals on since the next crossing doesn’t look very far on my map.  Along the way first I come to a small trailside campsite, then 100 yards or so further a faint trail down to the river at Big Bluff Hole.  Which today sounds like the happening place for a pool party.

    Another couple hundred yards is the next intersection, with a trail that goes up the steep rocky hillside to the old barn that marks the site of the original location for the Centerpoint Schoolhouse.  I continue on though, still in sandals I hope the next crossing is coming soon.  Down a short hill and a little over 100 feet is crossing three, more of the same but I will say I’m glad to have my walking stick for all these river crossings.

interesting Beech tree

    On the other side of the river, while sitting on a rock changing back into my boots (my feet will really appreciate this), I realize this spot has a premium view of Big Bluff back to the northeast.  I stay here a while taking pictures and watching the little ants high above traversing back and forth on the popular Goat Trail.

    Now the ORT is heading mostly to the west, and in many places I can tell this was once an old road.  With lots of low rolling hills in the river bottomland this was probably someone’s farm a long time ago.  I keep looking out into the open woods for any sign of an old homesite, and about half a mile later come to river crossing four.

ruins of concrete and stone

    Still heading west but I believe the trail has left the old roadbed, it’s easy going just more erratic in direction, and eventually heading south.  Up ahead maybe 30 or 40 feet I notice two deer coming down the hill and about to cross the trail when they see me and make a sudden about face and bound back up the hill. Watching them go, I see concrete ruins possibly an old house, another twenty feet or so down the trail is a faint trail up to the ruins.

    I take a little side trip to check it out, with some stonework out in front this concrete structure with a domed ceiling has no windows, just a doorway.  At first, I assume this was probably a root cellar but then I notice the galvanized tin flue through the roof in the back and decide it must be a smokehouse.  The faint trail appears to continue up a little rocky gully and so do I.  Not far I find a small wooden shed with a tin roof, this also has no windows.  I look around some more, but not finding anything else head back down to the ORT maybe 200 feet away.

@ river crossing 4

    In another hundred yards is the river at crossing number five, on the other side and maybe 100 feet is a faint trail left, down to another swimming spot called Bud Hole.  I stay on the ORT which gradually swings to the south and passes through an area with some very big beech trees.  Another quarter mile south I see an occupied campsite well off the trail back near the river under a bluff...very nice.

    I know I’m getting close to the sixth and final Buffalo crossing but before getting there is one more faint unmarked trail intersection with what’s known as Roark Bluff Trail.  A hundred yard further I’m on the banks of the river and before crossing I see a swimming hole with two rope swings tied in trees, right at the mouth of Steele Creek, I’ll call this Steele Creek Hole.

near Buffalo crossing 5

    Across the river and maybe a hundred yards up the trail I finish this 7.2 mile hike with 1117 feet of elevation change back at my truck in the big launch area parking lot.  Eleven hundred feet of elevation change seems like a lot but overall, this was an easy hike, and today truly was a great day to be outdoors in the Ozarks.

GPS waypoints for loop hike along Steele Creek, Beech Creek and the Buffalo River.

    Steele Creek Campground from the Hwy. 43 Hwy. 74 intersection take Hwy. 74 across the river and up the mountain about 1.4 miles to the Steele Creek Campground entrance under the big archway and follow paved Steele Creek Road down the hill. When the pavement ends continue through the big field northeast to the canoe launch area and the big parking area (S1).  Or you can come in off Hwy. 7, at the Little Buffalo River in Jasper take Hwy. 74 west about 12.7 miles, passing through Mt. Sherman and Low Gap along the way. 

base map before fair use alterations is property of USGS--licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 U.S. License

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area