143 Native American Falls

     We had quite a bit of rain the last couple days so I’m thinking it should be a good day to see some waterfalls.  I have a couple in mind that I’ve been meaning to go check out and end up in Sand Gap deciding on Native American Falls.  The parking area is on the west side of Highway 7 south of Highway 123, the ‘Piney Creek WMA’ sign that once stood at this spot is gone.

first falls encountered along Indian Creek

     Out the back heading west is a very visible trail, well-worn, obvious and easy to follow.  All the colorful ribbon and flagging hanging everywhere is completely unnecessary.  The trail starts downhill right away, first gently but seems to get steeper the farther I go and soon I can hear running water.  Now the trail is following a little side stream as it continues down to Indian Creek.

Tumbling Cascade

     This is way up near the top of the Indian Creek drainage, I’m surprised at the amount of flow in the creek which up here is about ten feet wide on average.  The trail crosses on some flat rocks that are almost dry, then follows pretty close to the creek up on the west bank.  There are a bunch of small, scenic water features through this area including small falls, short cascades and a little spring just to the west of the trail.

Native American Falls from the top

     About a hundred yards further where a side drainage spills in from the east is a rocky tumbling cascade/waterfall about twenty feet high.  Another 100 feet I arrive at the top of Native American Falls, I scramble down the steep bank about ten feet to a flat rock hoping to get a picture, but the angle is all wrong plus too many small tree branches obstructing the view not to mention I just don’t feel comfortable here so close to the edge.

the falls from the vista rock

     Back upstream maybe 50 feet from the top of the falls I find a spot to cross keeping my feet dry and soon pick up the trail again.  Not far is a faint trail intersection with the right fork going down onto the large rock crag that overhangs above Indian Creek just below Native American Falls.  A great vista point, I get a few shots of the fall before continuing downstream another hundred feet or less to a rope.

under the vista rock

     The yellow rope is tied to trees heading down steeply and slightly back to the north, although steep, with the aid of the rope this climb down is really pretty easy.  I reach bottom and continue upstream a short way to a huge flat-topped boulder in Indian Creek 50-60 feet below the base of Native American Falls.  Tim Ernst lists Native American as 41 feet tall, and today with the recent rains it looks fantastic, I linger a while enjoying the waterfall and taking pictures.

Native American Falls in the ONF is a short hike just south of Sand Gap.
Native American Falls

     The climb back out is also easy with the assistance of the yellow rope, without which I would never have attempted this climb.  Above the rock crag vista, I leave the trail and bushwhack up the hill to the northeast.  The woods are fairly clean, so bushwhacking isn’t bad, I soon reach the side drainage near the top of the Tumbling Cascade mentioned above, crossing here above the falls I continue east up through the woods.

little slot falls

     Not very far is another little side creek which I follow upstream passing first a nice little ledge waterfall about 5 feet tall.  Then it’s a series of small pretty waterfalls and short cascades going upstream as this side canyon get steadily tighter and rockier.  It gets so tight and cluttered with downed trees that I’m forced back up on the hillside for a while before crossing over to the north side of the creek above a little grotto.

Hidden Grotto Falls

     After crossing I make my way back downstream and down the steep slippery hillside, down to some big rocks in and around the creek at the grotto.  This is Hidden Grotto Falls, appropriately named as it is well hidden in a tight little twist in the creek.  The waterfall while not very tall at about ten feet drops through a slot between some large sharp rocks then plunges off a short ledge before disappearing in the back of the little grotto.  The creek then curves around in the darkness of the grotto behind a huge rock before re-emerging out of the grotto into the light of day.  A very pretty place although small and rugged, I’m glad I made the effort to see Hidden Grotto Falls.

near the headwaters of Indian Creek

     Back up above Hidden Grotto is a creek confluence where I take the left branch upstream to the north and the last few little cascades before topping out.  I circle around to the north maintaining this elevation until reaching the well flagged Native American Trail, turning right it’s a short hike up to the parking area where I meet a couple friendly hikers whom I saw earlier across Indian Creek from where I was set up photographing Native American Falls.

GPS coordinates to Native American Falls near Sand Gap.

     I had a great time today hiking a total of just 1.7 miles with 370 feet of elevation gain.  You could visit Native American Falls and return the way you came for a total distance of 1.5 miles, but if the creeks have water flow, I recommend the loop hike including Hidden Grotto and lots of little water features all along the way.  It doesn’t add much to the distance and is well worth it on an early spring day.

base map before fair use alterations is property of USFS--licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 U.S. License

    Native American Falls couldn't be easier to get to (unless they re-install the WMA sign), just go south on Scenic Highway 7 about 0.4 miles from Pelsor (Sand Gap) at the highways 7/123 intersection and park on the west side of the road in the good-sized parking area.

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area