140 Falling Water Road

     Today is Super Bowl Sunday and such a nice day I feel the need to get out and do a little hiking.  Last Sunday I went down Parker Ridge Road with the intention of hiking up Rock Creek to Johnny Trail Falls, but never made it to the bottom.  Parker Ridge Road was littered with downed trees everywhere, the result of the recent ice storms that took out power for over 10,000 Entergy customers.  Our power was out up in northern Boone County for 72 hours, some areas the outage was even longer.

castle turret

    Back on Parker Ridge Road, I gave up weaving around obstacles (downed trees) and pulled into a large campsite on the north side of the road that could easily be four or five campsites.  This is at the top of the large south fork of Rock Creek.  Thinking that the streams should be flowing well after the recent storms I decided to try and find a way down into the hollow.

damp, rocky north slope

    In the back of this huge campsite is an obvious trail which I can’t pass up, it starts down the slope but in less than 100 yards fizzles out to nothing and I’m left bushwhacking down a steep rocky little side stream.  To make a long story short, this area is the very definition of a difficult bushwhack: steep and rocky with undergrowth everywhere consisting of loads of briars and small thickets of saplings.  I didn’t make it to the creek, after about a mile I gave up and looped back around and up to the campsite.

distant bluffline pedestal

    Anyway, that was last week, I thought by now all the storm debris would be cleaned up, I sure was wrong it’s not even close.  Heading north on Falling Water Road not far after passing Falling Water Horse Camp the slalom-course begins with downed trees everywhere.  Lots of people are out today, most seem happy to just drive around in amazement of all the storm damage.

an impressive and little known waterfall of the Ozark National Forest
Rick Henry Falls

    One car is parked at Falling Water Falls which looks great today with the high water, I continue north and in about a mile and a half further is Falling Water Road Falls.  On the west side of the road about 100 feet up in the woods this wet weather falls looks pretty impressive today as well.  Not much further I cross Falling Water Creek on the narrow concrete bridge with tons of washed down deadwood pinned against the upstream side of the bridge.

a gorgeous companions falls right next to Rick Henry Falls
Boomer Falls

    Onward I drive past parking spots for Intersection Falls, Keefe Falls, Hidden Falls and then just before the huge landslide area that occurred over ten years ago the road crosses a new (smaller) landslide with some obvious road damage.  Just under a mile past the parking spot for Landslide Falls I pull off Falling Water Road at a nice little campsite on the right.

Rick Henry Falls (top portion)

    I park here in the campsite maybe thirty feet off the road which is in a small saddle with gentle slopes off both sides.  This campsite is the trailhead for Rick Henry Falls only about half a mile to the east, but there is no trail, this is a bushwhack all the way.  I head out uphill to the east directly toward the point of the bluff up ahead, and in less than 100 feet cross the Ozark Highlands Trail.

Rick Henry Falls

    Heading uphill to the base of the bluff turns out to be a mistake that I won’t repeat on my way back out, the base of the north facing bluff is covered in big mossy rocks many of which are loose and slippery.  I stumble along here less than 100 feet before slowly angling down off the slope to some easier terrain, a little easier anyway it’s still pretty rough.

Boomer Falls

    The bluffline gradually curves around to the south and I make my way back up to the base, now this is more like it.  With lots of broken shale along the flat and level base of the bluff and no undergrowth, this is easy hiking the last 100 yards or so to the falls.  Well mostly easy, I have to be careful crossing the many places with ice covering the loose shale underfoot.

icy area along bluff

    At Rick Henry Falls I’m pleasantly surprised, there are actually two waterfalls!  Both falls look fabulous today with a good volume of water flow.  I’m assuming the taller fall on the right (west) is Rick Henry Falls, at around 40 to 50 feet tall.  The top portion is a very steep cascading fall of about 15 feet before plunging off a small ledge the remaining 30 feet or so.

loose shale too

   Just to the left (east) is a shorter waterfall, 25 to 30 feet I’m guessing, and apparently has no name, well we can’t have that.  Anyone who reads Rick Henry’s blog (Rick’s Hiking Blog) knows Rick was a tall man, 6’3” to be exact, and they also know Rick’s best friend and frequent hiking partner was quite a bit shorter.

green crevice

    Of course, I’m talking about Boomer the magnificent mountain dog, I believe Boomer Falls is a perfectly appropriate name for this powerful waterfall right next to Rick Henry Falls with a beautiful deep little pool right at its base.  I’ll bet Boomer would love to swim around in this spot.

down in the hollow

    I came here today with very little information, basically all I had to go on was coordinates for Rick Henry Falls and the parking spot, so a high sense of discovery was inevitable, and I certainly am not disappointed. And if someone has already given the falls east of Rick Henry Falls a name, well, I regress I certainly don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.

scenic hollow

    After paying my respects and taking a few pictures I backtrack along the bluff across the loose shale, and soon come to a wet crevice covered in green moss.  From here I can hear splashing water down below, so I zigzag my way down the steep slope to the creek.  Here finding waterfall after waterfall, all small in the three to five foot range.

and rugged

    The whole area is very pretty and rugged with large, jagged rocks in and around the creek.  I get a few more pics before abandoning the creek and heading west, purposely staying at this lower elevation to avoid the mess up near the bluff that I battled on my way in.  This works out great, the woods are wide open without undergrowth and I’m back to my parking spot in the little campsite in no time.

GPS coordinates to Rick Henry Falls in the ONF.

    This hike is short and easy (as long as you don’t get up along the bluffline too soon), my entire hike including two magnificent waterfalls and many other smaller water features was only 1.1 miles with only 177 feet of altitude gain.  Another short yet great hike to add to the list of many short hikes to waterfalls east of Falling Water Road.

Falling Water Creek @ Intersection Falls

    Driving back south on Falling Water Road I decide to avoid the worst of the storm damage which is between the Falling Water Creek bridge and the horse camp by taking Richland Creek Road (FR 1219) up to Witts Spring and see if it is in better shape.  But before the turn off I park along the side of the road just south of the little rock cairn marking the Intersection Falls trail.

right below the road and so easy to get to just inside Richland Creek Wilderness
Intersection Falls

    It’s a very short hike, only about 800 feet to the falls and the trail is in great shape.  I haven’t been to Intersection Falls for almost ten years, and I remember the falls only had a trickle of flow that warm day in May.  Today it looks great with plenty of water and is the perfect finale to a wonderful time along Falling Water Road.

base map before fair use alterations is property of USFS Forest Service-
-licensed
 under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 U.S. License

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area