128 Benton's Pond

    Last year in September we came to Blue Hole and were so impressed with this beautiful place we just had to return, for that first time here see: (101 Blue Hole).  There are a bunch of swimming spots on the Buffalo River known as ‘Blue Hole’ and by Ken Smith’s count this is Blue Hole #6.  Anyway, this particular Blue Hole is just upstream from river mile: 78, and Woolum Ford.

    We drive into Woolum leaving Highway 65 at the south end of Pindal, turning west on North Woolum Road.  The well-known route to Woolum from St. Joe has been closed for almost a year now, due to erosion of the road at the area on the river known as Highbanks.

    The North Woolum Road out of Pindal starts as a paved road, but the pavement ends after about half a mile.  Another seven miles past the end of the pavement down this fairly good dirt road with occasional gravel sections, we arrive at the Woolum parking lot with the restroom and bulletin board.  From here on I recommend 4-WD with good ground clearance, we continue straight down to the canoe launch area near the confluence of Richland Creek.

today Green Hole would be a better name

    Turning right (upstream) on the well-defined ‘roadway’ we continue another 100 yards and cross the Buffalo River.  This is our fifth time crossing the river here and every crossing is a little different, this time the river is about 18-24 inches deep with a lot of ‘melon’ size river rock, so it’s a little rough but we make it just fine.

    After climbing up the sandy riverbank continue west on what I call ‘Volunteer Road’ which is mostly hard packed river rock with occasional sand pits, I go nice and slow and haven’t had any problems (knock on wood).  Three quarters of a mile after crossing the river is Blue Hole, we park in the shade.  Dropping the tailgate, we set up camp right here behind the truck, and after changing into my ‘flippers’ I head to the water.

    It’s not far into ‘swimmable’ water, maybe 20 feet or so before the water is over my head.  Out past the middle of the hole I start diving down to the bottom, now with the swim fins I’m easily able to reach the bottom, revising my estimate from last year, I now believe Blue Hole to be 12-15 feet deep.  I try four or five different spots and always reach the same estimate, not very scientific, if my ears ‘pop’ I believe the depth to be over ten feet.

Benton Bluff

   If I really wanted to be accurate, I could drop a weighted string to the bottom, but that wouldn’t be as much fun.  Other swimmers' estimates are always welcome.  While doing my depth estimates, I notice six or seven turtles 15 or 20 feet away watching me.  I swim up to the ‘whirl’ and then to the entrance shoal before returning to camp.  Benton Bluff has a pronounced ‘hook’ below the shoal which causes the whirlpool action, it’s very subtle, you have to be pretty close to see it.

    Relaxing in my beach chair, I start thinking about the name ‘Blue Hole’ which is overused, and not a very descriptive title, it’s not ‘blue’ at all, Green Hole would be a more accurate name.  Last year I came up with the name ‘Sycamore Bay’ because of the many sycamores up and downstream.  But looking around today, none of the trees are all that big, most are quite small and fighting for life every time the river floods, with some getting uprooted and washed away.

or as I choose to call it 'Benton's Pond' is a great swimming spot if you can get there
upstream end of Benton's Pond

    The largest sycamore here is protected by Benton Bluff, it's not very big by sycamore standards at maybe twelve inches in diameter.  So maybe not ‘sycamore’.  This hole is unique among most swimming holes, with regards to its shape.  It’s a short hole, not much more than 100 yards long and fairly wide, about a hundred feet across. to me it just has a ‘pond’ feel to it.  I think I’ll call it ‘Benton’s Pond’ from now on, if for no other reason than to just distinguish it from all the other Blue Holes.

Cash Bluff above Volunteer Road

    Now that I have that settled it’s about time for a little walk, I put on my sandals and head upriver following ‘Volunteer Road’.  In a little over a third of a mile the road ends at a small sandy turnaround, along the way I count four old washed out campfire rings.  Beyond this little turn around spot the river turns to the east, out to the west hidden by trees is steep Roughedge Hollow.  Here I’m close to the upstream end of Roughedge Hole, time for a little swim.

along the way to Roughedge Hole

    Roughedge Hole at river mile 77.5, has a completely different personality than Benton’s Pond...I mean ‘Blue Hole’ just downstream.  This is a long straight hole about 2000 feet from top to bottom, and pretty wide maybe 70-80 feet across.  I’m on the gravel bar so it should be easy access right into the river, except for all the thick tall grass and weeds along the shore, here at the turnaround in the road is one small ‘opening’ in the weeds where I can walk right in.

just upstream from Benton's Pond offers a clean swimming hole with plenty of sunshine
weedy bank at Roughedge Hole

    The slope here into deep water is gradual, about 30 feet before reaching a depth of five feet, around 50 feet out the hole is pretty deep at around 10-12 feet.  Roughedge Hole is very ‘clean’ maybe because it is so straight all the floating debris ends up further downstream.  Cash Bluff along the west side of Roughedge is mostly hidden in the trees until it approaches the river bend above Benton’s Pond.

a late summer wildflower

    The downside to Roughedge Hole, there is no shade anywhere along the long straight gravel bar, except for ‘lizards’ the day-camper here would want to bring some portable shade.  Access isn’t a problem as long as you can drive across the Buffalo, so I’m giving a score for accessibility of 3.

    Amenities scores a 2 due to the lack of shade and the weeds and grass at the river’s edge (maybe this is where the name ‘Roughedge’ comes from).  Popularity has to be a solid 5 since no one is here, that adds up to a total for Roughedge Hole: 10.  I suppose Roughedge Hole would be a good ‘alternative’ swimming hole for whenever Benton’s Pond gets overcrowded but don’t forget the sunshade.

    Back at Benton’s Pond we kick back and relax at our very shady day-camp with the soothing sounds of flowing water drifting across the pond from the shoals at both ends of the hole.  Before long I head back to the water, this time I swim down to the exit shoal.

    Above this shoal is a big flat boulder close to shore with just a small portion exposed and sitting here in the sunshine is a tiny turtle.  I try to sneak up on him, but he slips into the water when I get to within 6 to 8 feet at the submerged edge of this big boulder.  Climbing onto the flat boulder I’m standing with just my feet and ankles in the water, making this a nice diving platform.

back in Benton's Pond

    Other than my new name of ‘Benton’s Pond’ nothing’s changed here since our last visit, accessibility being the only issue, with the Buffalo River crossing accessibility scores a generous 3.  Popularity a definite 5 as we don’t see a soul all day, amenities get 4, and that would be a 5 if there was only a little more sand on the beach.

    Total score for Benton’s Pond: 12+.  The ‘plus’ is well deserved for the beauty of this location, including the hole itself, Cash Bluff, Benton Bluff the sycamores and the solitude.  I think we’ll be coming back to this one for years to come.

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area