117 Indian Creek from Kyle's Landing

    I've wanted to see Indian Creek for a long long time, but every account of this area always seems to include warnings.  Phrases used to describe the hike like ‘very dangerous’ ‘slippery and steep’ ‘use extreme caution’ have kept me away...and it’s true Indian Creek has more hiking injuries than any other area of the Buffalo National River.

trailside spring

    Unfortunately, a hiker from Missouri fell to his death here just last month, and he wasn’t the first.  Even with all the warnings Indian Creek is one of the most popular hiking destinations in the park, part of that is probably because it is so dangerous.  Some people see it as a challenge, but another big draw to Indian Creek is its high level of awesome beauty.

at the start of Indian Creek Trail

    Today I’m hiking alone, Kat read of someone’s adventure up Indian Creek online and said, ‘no thanks’.  Parking is at the trailhead at the west end of Kyle’s Landing campground, with room for maybe six cars.  Monday morning and Kyle’s is full of people with lots of camping type activity everywhere, the place smells fantastic with breakfasts of bacon sizzling over campfires of hickory oak and cedar.  My loose plan for Indian Creek is to just head up the creek and see how far I get.

at a side stream

    I'd like to get to Copperhead Falls and Tunnel Cave Falls, hiking alone I won’t push my luck.  As soon as it gets a little crazy, I’ll turn around, I wouldn’t want to become one of the statistics.  I head southwest from the trailhead on the BRT/ORT and immediately cross dry Bear Creek.  From here to the start of the Indian Creek Trail is about half a mile and there are six major trail intersections along the way, all are well marked with square posts in the ground.  There's also several unmarked trails leading into the woods, most of these to campsites.

Indian Creek

    The trail so far has been excellent and Indian Creek Trail it's no different, obviously this is a popular hike, the unmaintained trail is well worn from years of heavy use and in great shape.  Heading upstream along the east bank of Indian Creek the scenery is just gorgeous, hiking alone I’m getting in-tune to all of nature’s beauty around me including the peaceful sounds of the babbling creek and the morning songbirds.

first crossing

    Indian Creek is flowing swift, most places 10-15 feet wide with occasional wider pools, all in all very pretty.  I notice the bluffs are getting taller and beginning to slowly squeeze closer to the creek.  Many sheer drops along both sides of the creek have water running off ledges into the creek, with lush green foliage everywhere I only catch glimpses of the bluffs.  Indian Creek Trail soon passes a little spring just off the trail with a small pool at the base of a low bluff. 

rugged feeder stream

    Another quarter mile the trail arrives at the first creek crossing, I've read there are three crossings before Copperhead falls, I’ve come prepared with my water sandals in the pack.  It’s not deep here, maybe a foot the crossing is easy.  About 200 yards later the trail comes to a spot where the low bluff comes tight against the creek the trail climbs up through a gap in the rock maybe 15 feet up then back south along the ledge.

little ledge falls

    I’m soon back down at creek level on bedrock where the trail completely vanishes temporarily.  After a short climb up another low bluff at water’s edge the creek turns slightly to the west and I come to the second crossing.  Again I make the easy crossing, I decide these wet crossings are nice as they give me a chance to take a short break while changing footwear and enjoy the beauty.

of the Buffalo River is wild, beautiful, dangerous and extremely popular.
tranquil Indian Creek

    Back on the east side of Indian Creek in just over 100 yards the trail comes to a side drainage where a little creek tumbles down the steep drainage before falling off a ledge about 12-15 feet into a big, beautiful pool on Indian Creek.  About five feet below the top of this ledge the trail crosses on a tiny ledge about six inches wide.  It’s maybe twenty feet across to the other side with water flowing off it only in the middle.

Indian Creek

    There are no convenient little trees to hold onto, just solid rock, I hold on as best I can and inch my way out toward the middle where the little creek slides off into Indian Creek ten feet below my feet.  With my first cautious step onto the ‘wet’ rock my foot slips right off, luckily my other foot holds firm still on the ‘dry’ narrow ledge.

low bluffs

    Well, in about two seconds I decide this is it, the end of the road, but I can’t turn around pinned against the sheer rock face of this ledge I back out slowly about eight feet back to where I can step off the ledge.  Back on a firm footing I check the GPS, it’s still at least half a mile to Copperhead Falls.  I look for another way up and around this side drainage but don’t find anything, when this little creek dries up it wouldn’t be a problem crossing this narrow ledge, but not today.

wet n wild

    Heading back downstream I remember that it's only about 100 yards to the second Indian Creek crossing, but before I get there I notice a well-worn trail heading uphill and away from the creek, curious I follow it.  This trail is clear and easy going without much elevation change, soon as I approach some low bluffs  This little bluffline doesn’t last long but about halfway is a small dry shelter and a couple rock overhangs above.

scenic bluffs along Indian Creek

    Near the end of the bluff I gradually make my way downhill, the trail is still in great shape with nothing remotely challenging.  Well...Ok maybe I spoke too soon, just as I reach the bottom at a side drainage is a short ledge of smooth rounded stone where I’m forced to sit on my butt and slide down a few feet to some big flat rocks someone has stacked here, probably to aid hikers going up.

upper trail along bluff

    Twenty feet or so ahead is a lovely little pouroff waterfall shooting out through a slot in the bedrock then freefalling 6-7 feet into a pool before flowing down another 15 feet or so to Indian Creek.  Still on good easy trail for about 200 yards to some good-sized boulders at another very tiny drainage the trail comes out along Indian Creek just upstream from creek crossing #1.

serene Indian Creek

    Back on the familiar trail I’m thinking about how easy and pleasant this hike has been, of course I did have to turn around just as things were starting to get interesting, and I’m sure it would have gotten more difficult the further I went.  But that will be a hike for another day.  Although I didn't reach my intended destination, I feel no disappointment whatsoever, as this hike has been very interesting and enjoyable all the way, from beginning to end.

little pouroff waterfall

    I turn west at a faint trail intersection to Gray Rock since I’ve never seen it.  It’s a short sandy spur trail less than 100 yards back to the Buffalo River.  The Buffalo is in ‘flood stage’ with fast water  and standing waves the river is ‘brown’ from all the turbulence and run-off.

boaters beware

    I have seen pictures of Gray Rock which once was one of the rivers major obstacles for boaters, today with the river so high only about two feet of Gray Rock is above the water.  From here it’s not far back to Kyle’s and I’m at the truck in no time.  I didn’t make it to Copperhead Falls but that’s ok, I didn’t want to put myself at risk for injury.

high water on the Buffalo

    Now with more determination than ever I will come back, maybe this fall when everything dries out some, when hiking along the cliffs and ledges will be easier (and safer), we’ll see.  Of course, that’s the ole ‘waterfall chaser’s conundrum’: when the water is high, the falls are fabulous, but the hike can be slippery and dangerous.  Today’s aborted hike was still fantastic, the total distance including exploring the area around Gray Rock was 3.7 miles and with 395 feet of elevation gain.

Gray Rock across flooded Buffalo

Kyle’s Landing is easy enough to get to, but the road is steep and reportedly gets pretty slippery when wet so go slow and enjoy.  Turn north off of Highway 74 in Mt. Sherman onto NC 2650 Kyle’s Landing Road follow this west all the way to its end, at the back of Kyle’s Landing Campground and park here at the BRT/ORT trailhead.  It’s about 2.7 miles down the dirt road to the parking area. 

Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area