112 Bear Mountain Loop

    Today the weather forecasters are calling this 'the pick day’ of the week for outdoor activities with highs near 70° before more snow arrives later in the week.  I’ll head up to Drury Mincy and do some nearby hiking while I have the chance (for more at Mincy C.A. see: 111 Bee Creek & Cornell Road).  Off Gunnison Road, I head up the steep gravel road into Mincy Conservation Area, about half a mile to the parking/trailhead area on the south side of the road.  This is ‘Bear Mountain Trailhead’ with parking for four or five vehicles.

Bear Mountain Trail with white blaze

    Bear Mountain Trail heads out south the woods then downhill pretty quick, the trail is easy to follow with white blazes stating, ‘hiking trail’.  The steep trail has lots of small loose rock, soon arriving at what I’m assuming is Bear Cave shown on the very ‘basic’ Conservation Area map.  From here standing on the trail it doesn’t look like much, just a small sinkhole with a little pitch-black opening at the bottom.  To get inside you need to get down and crawl in, and since it’s a little muddy today, I'll pass.

little bathtub falls

    From here the trail gets steeper before levelling out some along a little side drainage and some flowing water.  Before crossing this creek there's a small waterfall with a nice deep bathtub sized pool underneath, then right after the crossing a bigger waterfall.  This one is 6-7 feet tall and maybe 4 feet wide, surely this tiny creek dries up fast so these falls will be at their best right after a good rain.

small waterfall

    After the two little waterfalls the trail enters an old field and angles away from the creek, and very soon starts heading uphill.  Down to my right I can see where the little creek converges with another small creek coming down from the west.  This uphill trail gets steeper and once again is covered with small loose rock along with quite a bit of larger solid bedrock.

below a small waterfall

    Soon the trail enters a boulder field where it passes between and around some perfect sized boulders for taking a break.  I keep going up the hill and around to the east, the trail soon levels out and maybe a quarter mile from the boulder field Bear Mountain Trail ends at Gunnison Road Trailhead.  Another trail continues east (across the road) but I’ll save that for another day, returning instead the way I came.

low boulder along trail

    Back down Bear Mountain Trail if I go back up to the trailhead re-tracing my route this won’t be much of a hike.  I decide to check out that other creek heading off to the northwest at the bottom of this hill.  Down the trail it’s less than a quarter mile to the bottom where I cross the creek and head around the bottom of the ridge between these two small drainages.   Along this second creek the hillside on my right has a series of low solid rock ledges for the next quarter mile.

Bear Mtn. Trail below Gunnison Trailhead

    The creek has apparently dried up or more likely gone underground, I walk upstream in the dry creek bed.  But soon it has water flowing once again and I follow upstream on the south bank along what appears to be a game trail.  A little side drainage on my left has a noisy little cascade tumbling down to the main creek, and just 20 feet upstream is a small waterfall with a little pool below it.  This fall is similar to the first one found on the other creek below Bear Cave.

low ledges near creek confluence

    Past the little falls the creek dries up again as the little valley opens up some and I enter an area with some noticeably bigger trees.  I think I recognize some beech and hickory that are at least 24” diameter, until now I hadn’t seen anything larger than about 12” diameter.  Here the valley is broad as I approach the top of the drainage, suddenly up ahead I see something move and assume I have surprised a deer, but this is no deer.

the road on the ridge (11/2022)

    It’s a red fox who stops to watch me from a safe distance up a small arroyo on the north side of the valley.  I continue a short way and another fox emerges from a big hollow log on the valley floor near the dry creek.  This fox goes maybe 50 feet west to another downed log that it mounts for a good vantage point.  I’m less than 100 feet from her, we have a stare down for a minute then I start to talk to her, she decides it’s time to move on down to the dry creek then north up the arroyo where her mate is waiting.

Small waterfalls and interesting rock formations are along the trails and ridges in the conservation area.
boulders on top at road

    I keep going up the valley and soon arrive on top of the ridge at a road which I follow to the north soon coming to some big boulders right next to the road at a nice campsite.  Past the boulders I see a gate up ahead and just before the gate an intersection with a less used road off to the northwest, the road I’m on turns here to the east and goes through the locked gate.

    Now on the main 'Mincy Road' about a quarter mile I spot my truck parked at the trailhead.  The end of the hike, and a great little hike too, the trail in real good shape did have a couple steep sections but nothing too steep, the bushwhack up the creek was wide open woods a clean easy hike all the way.  With very little undergrowth, this really is a nice place for hiking, which was a total of 2.4 miles with just over 400 feet of elevation gain.

Bear Mountain Loop: Statistics Chart 112     To get here from Arkansas to the south is pretty easy.  Stonington Road (BC 212) is about 5 miles east on Highway 14 from the intersection with Old Highway 65 in Omaha, or about 6.3 miles west of Highway 281 South (to Bergman) on Highway 14.  Take Stonington Road (paved) just over 3 miles, turn left (north) on Gunnison Road (J-40) also paved goes north passing the Bee Creek access road on the right (3 miles), then Cornell Road (4 miles), Gunnison Road Trailhead (4.75 miles) and then gravel Mincy Road at just over 5 miles.  Mincy Road goes up the hill then around to the west for just under half a mile to the Bear Mountain Trailhead parking on the left.

base map before fair use alterations is property of ArcGIS--licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 U.S. License


Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area