108 Slippery Hollow, Boozer and Big Music

    I’m going back to Slippery Hollow over two years later, and this time I’m going alone since Kat had things at home she wanted to do.  On the short drive to Slippery Hollow, I wondered when the last time was that I went hiking by myself.  Possibly way back in August of 1986, when I hiked solo on an overnight trip to a small alpine lake in the Trinity Wilderness of northern California.  Wow, I guess this is way overdue.

    Pulling in the parking area of Slippery Hollow (Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission), I notice some ‘parking’ improvements since our last visit.  From the small parking lot, I head northeast past the locked gate on an old road first to that old homesite we found almost three years ago.  It appears to be a small house or maybe it was a shack, but nothing is left of the walls, now just a green shingle roof sitting on the ground.  I return to the old road then leave that at the top of the first drainage I come to.

low rugged bluff

    Descending into the little hollow is pretty steep but I angle my way down to keep the grade manageable.  This hollow is the south tributary of Boozer Hollow, heading north along the creek the descent is a little steep, so I take my time and watch my step, I realize I’m actually being more cautious than I ‘normally’ am.  I suppose this is because I don’t have a hiking partner to send for help in the event of an accident, good move be careful and stay safe.

    To my right after maybe 200 yards is a ragged broken low bluff above the creek which now has a little water.  Mostly just little pools but I can hear the faint trickle of moving water.  The creek turns to the east a little and a small cascade, this whole scene would look gorgeous with more water and greenery.  Maybe 100 feet past the cascade is a small rocky sinkhole right before both creek banks become pretty steep, I climb up on the bank.

in Boozer Hollow

    Still following the creek now up on the north bank I soon stumble onto an old road, the hiking gets a whole lot easier.  About 100 feet before reaching the main branch of Boozer Hollow there’s a nice waterfall around 10 feet tall and probably 8 feet wide.  Just past the falls the old road swings around to the west and briefly heads upstream on Boozer Hollow before crossing the creek which flows through a large steel culvert.

    Then the road heads up hill to a locked gate, beyond there the road looks used and even maintained, this is all very interesting but my ‘plans’ are to follow Boozer Hollow downstream, so I turn around and head east down Boozer Hollow.  Naturally the creek is getting bigger as I go downstream, the grade has leveled out considerably and about 200 yards after the culvert I cross a border that informs me that I’m in the ‘natural area’ and no motorized vehicles allowed.

an upper section of Big Music Creek

    Another 200 yards is the confluence of Boozer Hollow into Big Music Creek, the old road is getting harder to find, now mostly washed away.  On Big Music Creek I don’t hear music, but I do hear distant voices, I’m not alone, other hikers are approaching from back up Big Music, but before they catch up to me, I find a nice little waterfall just over 200 yards downstream from the confluence.  Then another waterfall 150 feet further, and under 100 yards from the second yet, another little waterfall.

    All three of these little falls are very nice and of course with a more water will be fantastic, I decide to call them Big Music Triplets since all three are similar at about 10 feet tall.  Downstream I'm feeling pretty good about my ‘waterfall discoveries’ a little over 100 yards is another waterfall, this one a little taller 12-15 feet and has some added personality.

    Not a straight drop but more of a ‘stairstep’ fall or steep cascade I’ll call this one Big Music Cascade to distinguish it from its smaller siblings upstream.  Getting to the base of Big Music Cascade pass by on the north bank then make my way down a slope then make my way back upstream on the rocks trying to keep my feet dry in the process.

first Big Music Triplet

   Here at the base of the falls the voices I’ve been hearing catch up to me, it turns out these guys are Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission employees and are out doing a little reconnaissance work for a prescribed burn that is scheduled to happen soon.  So, they pay you guys to go hiking around in the wood?’ I ask smiling, they respond with a chuckle ‘yeah it’s a tough job but someone has to do it.’  We talk a little about the rough bushwhacking conditions along the creek before they continue downstream as do I, albeit at a slower pace.

    Past Big Music Cascade the canyon gets a little tighter with a low bluffline of exposed shallow undercuts.  The low rocky bluffs don’t last long, entering a flat bottomland area I come to the next confluence and turn south heading up this un-named hollow.  Could this be ‘Slippery Hollow’ which the natural area is named?  It does after all go right through the center of the park, I find another old road up on the west bank.  This road is overgrown but still easier hiking than down on the creek.

with little creeks, bluffs and waterfalls, Slippery Hollow has big outdoor recreation possibilities.
lower Big Music Triplet

    Below a long steep cascade, on the ‘main’ creek is another very pretty cascade, past this point the road climbs high above the creek and turns up into the next little feeder stream, where the road has all but evaporated becoming very overgrown almost impossible to follow.  I decide to abandon the road, down below on the feeder stream is a pretty little waterfall covered in moss this one about 8 feet tall.

    Something I have noticed about all the waterfalls today, is that while none are very tall, all of them are almost as wide as they are tall.  Looking past the fall to the south (upstream on the main creek) looks pretty rough with undergrowth, dead wood and rocks.  I backtrack up the steep rocky hillside to some chair sized rocks and take a break.  While resting I decide it will be pretty easy to climb out of the hollow and on up to the top of the ridge from here, at least it appears that way on the map.

dental work

    Steep but not very far to the top I zig-zag my way up through the rocks to make the grade easier, soon I come out on top at a nice rock patio.  On the rock patio is actually about halfway to the top but from here following the ridge the slope is much gentler and the woods are pretty clean.  Along the way, I find a lower jawbone with a complete set of teeth and maybe 100 yards further a little white stone ‘dish’ with two pennies in it, hmm interesting.  On top of the ridge, I find the old road back to the parking area.  Along this road which is about 3/4 of a mile to the parking lot.

     A dump scattered on the ridge along both sides of the road.  While junk spread out in the woods isn’t what you want to see while hiking it does keep thing interesting trying to identify the stuff.  I’m soon back at the car and the end of my Slippery Hollow adventure, today I hiked just over 3 miles with 580 feet of elevation gain and had a great time doing it, so I'll be back soon, for that adventure (including a map) see: (109 Marble Falls Spring)Boozer and Big Music Loop: Statistics Chart 109

take a penny, leave a penny


Comments

Popular Posts

23 Thunder Canyon Falls

21 Triple Falls

86 Fuzzybutt Horsetail and more

17 Haw Creek Recreation Area